iMac installation

Hello,

I have been trying to install Debian on an iMac, and I have reached a
sticking point. Here is a summary of what I have done thus far. If anyone
could help me to finish, I would appreciate it.

I first installed LinuxPPC on its own partition. One I had this installed,
I unziped base2_2.tgz onto a different partition. I edited /etc/fstab,
/etc/init.d/network, /etc/hostname, and /etc/resolv.conf . Using BootX 1.0.2
I was able to boot this distribution, and start up single user mode.

I have a ppp dialup connection, so I would like to install the new versions
of the packages, so that I can have X, etc. However, I am having a problem
getting this to work. I ran pppconfig (although I am unsure which device
corresponds to the internal modem). But when I run pon, I get a message
saying that the kernel doesn't support ppp. When I run dmesg, one of the
messages from the kernel mentions ppp. I started up the modules script in
/etc/init.d. Hoping to fix this problem, I downloaded a new version of the
LinuxPPC kernel, a 2.2.1 release. Ran the same modules script. It complains
that it can't find char-major-4 (I tried an alias in the modules.conf file,
but it complained, and there already is one in the /etc/modules/aliases file).
So I tried manually installing kernel-image-2.2.1-pmac_2.2.1-1.deb, both in
debian and on the Mac partition so that I could use BootX. But this kernel
doesn't seem to recognize USB devices (including the keyboard), so it is
unusable.

Any suggestions?
 Matt

--
Matthew J. Kraai  Senior, Computer Science, Carnegie Mellon University

Freedom is not free.