Re: Ibm Rs/6000

On Sun, 21 Mar 1999 guido@dsnet.it wrote:

> Hi to all,
> I'd like to install a debianized linux on a IBM Rs/6000 40P.
> I installed a redhat version of linux on it some time ago,
> and I know it will work, but as I am working with Debian more
> and more recently I would have liked to try it.
> Shortly: there's no rescue/root images on ftp.debian.org under
> sid/.../disks-powerpc !
> How can I boot the machine to install the base, even on floppies?
> As you can imagine, I can't boot MacOS on this hardware :))

You're in luck. Resident IBM RS/6000 Guru ready to assist.

Okay, hint one; gimme the right model#. There's a *LOT* of 40's. F40
workstations, F40 Workgroup, and F40 PowerPC Server.

Hint two; you *need* another Linux box that is running. Throw a bootloader
on a floppy, cross-compile a kernel. If you use 2.2.x or 2.1.x, PCI access
mode MUST be DIRECT. Beyond that, you're pretty much set.

| Phillip R. Jaenke       | "Not all wisdom comes from without;  |
| Head of Unix Systems    |  much wisdom can only come from      |
| Unicent Telecom         |  within. Only you can teach yourself |
| prj@nls.net (RISCy@IRC) |  some of the most important  lessons |
+-------------------------+  of life." --Takes-Many-Roads,       |
Project Head              |              Silent Strider Theurge  |
-PESTER ME!- PJaenke@unicent.com / 800.319.9250 x4268 -PESTER ME!-