Re: Gtk1.2 colo_selection widget crashes X on planar amifb fbdev X server

On Fri, 12 Mar 1999, David Miller wrote:
>    From: Andreas Schwab <schwab@issan.informatik.uni-dortmund.de>
>    Date: 12 Mar 1999 10:14:21 +0100
>
>    A program which cannot cope with that is broken by definition.
>
> Emacs's internal lisp data types depend upon the layout of the upper
> bits of an address, and what that looks like.  It uses bits which can
> never be set as a place to store typing information codes.  If you
> look in GNU emacs, it does do special things when the glibc malloc is
> being used to prevent it from using mmaps for example.
>
> This restriction has been around for ages and we've been coping with
> it by making emacs see something consistant there.

And that's the major reason you had to stay with emacs-18 under AmigaOS.
AmigaOS doesn't use the MMU and physical memory addresses can be >1 GB on the
Amiga. Perhaps a workaround was added to the AmigaOS port of emacs later, but
that must have been after I stopped using AmigaOS.

Greetings,

						Geert

--
Geert Uytterhoeven                     Geert.Uytterhoeven@cs.kuleuven.ac.be