Re: gnome stuff ...

> Date: Mon, 8 Mar 1999 10:00:48 +0100
> From: Sven LUTHER <luther@maxime.u-strasbg.fr>
> Ok nice you tell me this, i will test this stuff nextly ...
>
> IT is a ppc only bug i guess ?

Yes. I don't know if the cause is specific to ppc, but the bug as filed has
only failed the test suite on ppc.

> also i have been experiencing gtk1.2/Xserver crashes with the
> color_selection widget, i thought this was related to me running X on top of
> planar amifb, but could it also be a egcs bug ?

Possible.. I only saw it in clist/ctree widgets though (and tests that use
those widgets, including file selection or font selection). I wouldn't be
suspicious of egcs unless the function in which the crash occurred has at
least 8 arguments being passed in and was compiled -fPIC (the server itself
shouldn't be, but the X libraries would).

> i will post a bug report with strace and other stuff a bit later ...

If you get a crash, build with -g, run under the debugger, you should see it
crash with a null dereference at the assembly level that doesn't correspond to
what's happening at the C level. The crash ought to occur in either gtkclist.c
or gtkctree.c . There is a register reserved for doing the -fPIC relocation
that is clobbered too early and causes the last argument to get loaded from a
random location.

I very much hope egcs has been fixed, since this is an annoying bug, but I
checked the automated test suite page today (somewhere off of
http://egcs.cygnus.com) and it was still broken in last week's snapshot.

cheers,
 -Brian
   warner@lothar.com