emacs20 floating-point evil

I rebuilt emacs from source again on my system, this time to undo the
breakage caused by the recent rebinding of the DEL key, and found that
now the version that I've built is exhibiting the pale pastel faces that
I had noticed with the distributed version.  It looks like the root
cause of this is some horrible breakage in floating-point, which is
causing it to think that "white" is a dark color.  To see this, go into
the *scratch* buffer and enter:

1.0^J

On my system, I get:

1.0
2147478928.0

also:

(= 1.0 2147478928.0)

I just installed egcs 1.1.1 (2.91.60), I wonder if this might be a
compiler bug.  Any ideas?

-Randy