Re: X startup hang

On Wed, Jan 20, 1999 at 05:27:11PM +0100, Manuel Sickert wrote:
> Hi Michel,
>
> as I installed Linux just these days I use the latest libraries.
> Especially glibc 2.0.100-2.
>
> I have G3 powermac, 233 MHz, 160 MB RAM, built in graphic board 3D ATI ???
> and use the 2.1.125 kernel.
>
> I attach again my strace output (this time not binhexed). Perhaps it is
> useful for you to figure out what's going on?
>
> Sven suggested to compile X myself. Two problems: first, where is the
> server with the "incoming" directory where I can download the X tarball
> for debian.
> Second, I think that this task is too difficult for me. I never packaged
> a debian package nor compiled something other than a kernel and some tiny
> programs. But I'm willing to try it if someone could tell *exactly*
> what to do.

i didn't look yet at the strace output, but i you want to compile a debian
package it is very easy, just do :

dpkg-source -x package.dsc

cd package

dpkg-buildpackage -rsudo -us -uc

and it should build you most of the packages.

sometimes there are some problems.

i will write another mail with my experiences in this ares soon ...

Friendly,

Sven LUTHER