Re: X startup hang

Hi Sven

>You have not installed any font packages, please do that, also you could
>try my
>new packages (still under developpment, since it is the first time i
>build something as big as X for debian, but they should work) I build them
>because i was experiencing similar problems, i guess it is some library
>or another such thing.
>You can get them from debian incoming or from

I just installed your

packages from sunsite.auc.dk but the problem persits. Output of startx is now:

XFree86 Version / X Window System
Release Date: January 4 1999
	If the server is older than 6-12 months, or if your card is newer
	than the above date, look for a newer version before reporting
	problems.  (see http://www.XFree86.Org/FAQ)
Operating System: Linux 2.2.0-pre4 ppc [ELF]
Configured drivers:
   FBDev: Server for frame buffer device
   (Patchlevel 10): mfb, afb, cfb8, cfb16, cfb32, NCR 77C32BLT (accel),
ATI Mach64 (accel), IMS TwinTurbo (accel)
(using VT number 7)

XF86Config: /etc/X11/XF86Config
(**) stands for supplied, (--) stands for probed/default values
(**) XKB: disabled
(**) Mouse: type: BusMouse, device: /dev/mouse, buttons: 3
(**) FBDev: Graphics device ID: "Linux/m68k Frame Buffer Device"
(**) FBDev: Monitor ID: "Generic Monitor"
Warning: The directory "/usr/X11R6/lib/X11/fonts/Type1/" does not exist.
         Entry deleted from font path.
Warning: The directory "/usr/X11R6/lib/X11/fonts/Speedo/" does not exist.
         Entry deleted from font path.
(**) FontPath set to

(**) FBDev: Using default frame buffer video mode
(--) FBDev: Frame buffer device: OFfb MacOS disp
(--) FBDev: Video memory: 3915K @ 0x82801400
(--) FBDev: MMIO regs: 0K @ (nil)
(--) FBDev: Type 0 type_aux 0 bits_per_pixel 32
(--) FBDev: Hardware accelerator: None
(--) FBDev: No driver support for hardware acceleration
bpp = 32, depth = 32, BitsPerRGB = 8
(--) FBDev: Using cfb32 driver

Fatal server error:
Caught signal 11.  Server aborting

When reporting a problem related to a server crash, please send
the full server output, not just the last messages

X connection to :0.0 broken (explicit kill or server shutdown).

I attached the output of strace. Perhaps this helps you to figure out
what is missing.

Many thanks for your help!

Manuel Sickert
Institut Curie, Section de Recherche
11 rue Pierre et Marie Curie, 75231 Paris Cedex 05
Tel: (33) 01 42 34 64 60/83
Fax: (33) 01 40 51 06 36