Re: Xfree 3.3.3.1

On Wed, 20 Jan 1999, Sven LUTHER wrote:

> no problem, ...
>
> i have to say that was very useful for building this packages, and that i
> applied the patches and tried to resolve most of the rejections quickly.
>
> it took me less time than to compile all the stuff.
>
> i needed them, since since my partition crash i reinstalled debian, and the old ppc
> packages didn't work for me, and i was not able to build X from the 3.3.2.3a-8.1 sources.
>
> 3.3.3.1 builds cleanly under powerpc, and it facilitate things a lot i think for us.
>
> i had to play with the debian/create-arch stuff to add the same exception for ppc than for m68k,
> and i solved the (unreported i think) parse-x86config bug than prevented xdm from booting when
> using the XF68_FBDEV server.
>
> anyway, i will be happy if someone will take this stuff from my hands again, but in the mean time,
> i needed a working X on ppc, so ...

One thing I would like to note. The fact that Sven created the packages
for powerpc, somehow gives us a headstart. By the time the first official
3.3.3 packages are out, we -that is debian/ppc- will be using 3.3.3 for
some time and will have bug fixes, suggestions, etc. for the final
release. It would save us a lot of time, and instead of being the
following platform, it would give us a lead and if anything it would show
that debian/ppc is quite active. If it agreeable with the rest, I propose
that once Sven has been quite sure about the packages and they have had
some testing, we should make this known, Slashdot/Freshmeat anyone?

Konstantinos Margaritis
kmargar@cc.uoa.gr