Re: glib 1.1.12, gtk1.1.12 for debian/ppc

On Wed, Jan 13, 1999 at 03:36:14PM +0200, Konstantinos Margaritis wrote:

> On Wed, 13 Jan 1999, Hartmut Koptein wrote:
>
> > We aren't many powerpc developers. Debian is currently in a critical state
> > for new patches - some maintainers decided to delay the upload to unstable.
>
> Just an idea... why don't introduce a 'porter'? That is, debian developers
> probably have too much on their minds to port every piece of software for
> every platform, so instead each platform should have its own porters, that
> should not be package-specific, unless the package itself is a beast in
> porting. The developer community could split the list of packages that
> need porting and assign a number to each porter -hopefully not too small
> but not too big either, I believe a number around 20-30 should be ok. If a
> porter is idle for more than an allowed ammount of time, then he is put in
> suspension, and someone takes his work.... Anyway, the details could be
> discussed, but the fact is that IMHO there is a need for something like
> this, esp. in non-intel platforms. I leave it for you developers to pass
> this on th the devel list.

We already have porters.  I started as one.  You don't need a package
to register as a developer; you just need a way to help.

> to comment on this, a porter should be much more versatile than an auto
> porting system. For one, I doubt that this system can fix bugs.

No, but already working packages can be recompiled at new versions
automatically.

> > (if you like, you can do the whole stuff from contrib/non-free, too)
>
> as a matter of fact, that is what I have started doing. I have already
> done qt1.42, glib 1.1.12, gtk 1.1.12, mpg123, xephem, xfractint, and am in
> the process of doing a ppc kde snapshot (have already done kdesupport and
> libs), egcs 1.1.1 (boy this is a beast) freeamp and amp (these two
> build fien but have the usual endianness problems, which means they only
> produce garbage in 2.1.1xx kernels, although someone with a 2.1.24
> kernel, could use them with no problem I think), and whatever else
> remains...

What are you doing to egcs 1.1.1, out of curiousity?  And is there
really no 1.1.1 in the archive yet for powerpc?  If there is, my
apologies; I've gotten very behind lately.  I'll try to update my local
source tree.

Dan

|       Daniel Jacobowitz        |__|     CMU, CS class of 2002      |
|   Debian GNU/Linux Developer    __   Part-Time Systems Programmer  |
|         dan@debian.org         |  |        drow@cs.cmu.edu         |