Re: netcdf .debs available

On Fri, Dec 04, 1998 at 01:10:40PM +0200, Konstantinos Margaritis wrote:
> On Fri, 4 Dec 1998, Sven LUTHER wrote:
>
> > 1) on how to use diff :
> >
> > before modification, you copy the file to file.orig then you do :
> >
> > diff -u path/from/package/root/file.orig path/from/package/root/file
> > >package.diff
>
> Oh, and just for completeness, I apply the patch with
>
> patch <package.diff

or better patch -p0 <package,diff on the root of the package ...

> on the package root dir ( or the parent I think)?
>
> > 2)
> >
> > i think there is already a debian package for the GMT, so there should be a
> > maintainer listed in the package description file. File a bug against the GMT
> > package and describe the problem, and send your solution, in patch form if you
> > were able to do it, if not just like this mail.
>
> No there isn't, just checked all source dirs for *GMT* or *gmt* , unless
> it has been changed. Even so, GMT compiled and ran fine, as soon as I had
> netcdf installed, it just lurks undebianized in /usr/local/GMT, else it is
> quite ok.

some time ago there was someone who wanted to do the GMT package, i told him i
had done some packaging before, but since i was not developper, it was only for
me (same as you i think ...) are you debian developper ? if yes perhaps you
could take the package. In any case, perhaps you should send a mail to
debian-devel announcing your problem, where you put the package, and so on.

If you are not developper, i would gladly take the package. If it is ok with
you.

> > 3)
> >
> > ask the maintainer if you should send the diff also to the upstream authors,
> > or if he will do it.
>
> Will do, as soon as I can afford time... I have my thesis to write...

come on, a 5 line mail, with youyr patch appended should not take you to much
time ...

Friendly,

Sven LUTHER