Re: Switching to Debian from RedHat

Randy Gobbel <gobbel@andrew.cmu.edu> writes:

> Ok, I've read the warning message that says not to try going from a
> RedHat installation to a Debian installation.  But: I'm tired of the
> fragmentary chaos of the LinuxPPC default, and I miss the civilized
> package management and completeness of Debian.  And, I already have a
> 4GB ultra-wide SCSI disk mostly full of stuff, running on a PowerMac G3
> 266/DT.  Pretty much out of space for new partitions.
>
> Is the PowerPC port stable enough for everyday use?
> If so, any suggestions on how to transition to Debian without totally
> screwing up my system?
>
> Thanks,
> -Randy

You will need a small filesystem to install the new libs and bins for
glibc2. You can't just unpack the newer once over the old once, since
then nothing will work anymre (including mount, ls, tar, cp, ...)
You can extract the new stuff to a directory or a loopback system or,
even better, to you swap partition.

Installing to you swap partition is probably the easies way to
upgrade.

May the Source be with you.
			Mrvn