Switching to Debian from RedHat

Ok, I've read the warning message that says not to try going from a
RedHat installation to a Debian installation.  But: I'm tired of the
fragmentary chaos of the LinuxPPC default, and I miss the civilized
package management and completeness of Debian.  And, I already have a
4GB ultra-wide SCSI disk mostly full of stuff, running on a PowerMac G3
266/DT.  Pretty much out of space for new partitions.

Is the PowerPC port stable enough for everyday use?
If so, any suggestions on how to transition to Debian without totally
screwing up my system?

Thanks,
-Randy