Re: chown()/lchown() war ...

At 02:08 -0700 1998-07-20, Sven LUTHER wrote:
>is dpkg --root=newroot --force-depends -i packages.deb correct ?

cd $newroot && dpkg ... (dpkg uses chroot, but it doesn't chdir to where
the new root is first)

>Also what is the status on ldso.deb ? apart from e2fslib and mount it is
>the only vital part missing from the base packages. It is possible to
>use an static ldso with slink ? if yes, what version do i need ?

The dependence on ldso is only for 'ldconfig' on powerpc (the latest ld.so
source package will build just 'ldconfig' on powerpc and alpha). If you
have a ldconfig binary already (these are usually statically linked), it is
safe to ignore the libc6 pre-depends on ldso.

I intend to build a new glibc with some code to handle lchown/chown on
kernels with the new behavior and the old behavior (there is code in glibc
to handle this for i386, but not powerpc, the code for i386 is actually
architecture independent, all that is necessary is to copy it over to the
powerpc sysdeps dir and edit syscalls.list). When I do that, I will build
and upload ldso as well.
--
Joel "Espy" Klecker    Debian GNU/Linux Developer    <mailto:jk@espy.org>
<http://www.espy.org/>                          <ftp://ftp.espy.org/pub/>