Re: forwarded message from Geoffrey KEATING (fwd)

On Mon, Jan 12, 1998 at 07:31:08PM +0100, Vincent Renardias wrote:

> Bad news: the current glibc snapshot and the old 961212 snapshot are
> INCOMPATIBLE. (cf: the attached emails)
>
> I suggest the following:
>
> 1/ patch egcs-1.0.1 and install binutils .18 to get a clean dev. env.
>
> 2/ release the current glibc snapshot as libc6.1 (as it's the case in
> Debian/alpha).

As this would be a very strong change, I believe we should first verify
that the new glibc works and that we're able to set up a fresh system.

At the moment we have an mklinuxfs.tar.gz containing "old" libraries.
We need this for a new system, too.

Before Guy is removing the files on master which I think would
be needed (btw. remove it step by step so mirrors doesn't get screwed)
in order to get a consistant system.

BUT: If a new installation is needed we still need the old libraries.
This means we need to store them somewhere.  I'll burn them on cd-rom
before the directories vanishes.  If there's enough space what I think
I'll put some rpm's on it, too.

We also need to keep the libc6 and libc6.1 debfiles around so we are
able to do new installations.

Well, this also bombs my plans.  I was about finishing the
Debian-PowerPC-Howto, seems this has to wait now.

> So on tervola:
>
> * we keep the current 961212 snapshot as libc6 (so the current binaries
> can run).
>
> * we install glibc-980111 as libc6.1{-dev} and use it to build and install
> new packages.

Does this affect the soname, too?  I fear yes, but I also don't really
see a way to get around this

> * ALL the powerpc binaries MUST be rebuilt and uploaded. (we should ask
> guy to purge the current binary-powerpc I think to be sure no old package
> is left)
>
> Sounds good? (Or is there something in the forwarded emails I've missed)

Not really...

If we can provide runtime libc6 (current) and new libc6.1 with
new binaries depend on this it should be ok.

Regards

	Joey

 /              Whenever you meet yourself you're in a time loop /
/ http://home.pages.de/~joey/           or in front of a mirror /