Re: debian/rules being +x, dpkg and life

On Tue, Jun 25, 2019 at 10:50:13PM -0400, Louis-Philippe Véronneau wrote:
> I'm thus wondering, in my VCS:
>
> * do I have to make debian/rules executable ?

I do not see any reason not to do it.

> * should I make debian/rules executable ?

Yes.

> If the answer to any of those two questions is 'yes', why should I since
> dpkg-source will fix that for me automagically ?

dpkg-source make debian/rules executable when extracting the source
package, but it does not change the local copy. When using a VCS you
never use dpkg-source to extract the source package (only to build it)
so you have to set it yourself in your local copy.
If you record it in the VCS, the VCS will make sure the bit is always
set.

There are cicrumstances when it is helpful to run some targets manually,
for example debian/rules clean.

Cheers,
--
Bill. <ballombe@debian.org>