Re: debian/rules being +x, dpkg and life

Hello,

On Tue 25 Jun 2019 at 10:50pm -0400, Louis-Philippe Véronneau wrote:

> Hello, policy mailing list!
>
> I recently sent a package to my usual sponsor to be reviewed and they
> came back telling me I should +x debian/rules.
>
> Looking at the Debian Policy, 4.9 says:
>
>> This file [debian/rules] must be an executable makefile
>
> But then 3.3 goes on and says:
>
>> The "dpkg-source" program will automatically make the "debian/rules"
>> file executable (see below).
>
> There is also no lintian warning about debian/rules needing to be
> executable.
>
> When building the package with debian/rules in mode 644, dpkg-source
> indeed fixes it:
>
>> dpkg-buildpackage: warning: debian/rules is not executable; fixing
>> that
>
> I'm thus wondering, in my VCS:
>
> * do I have to make debian/rules executable ?
> * should I make debian/rules executable ?
>
> If the answer to any of those two questions is 'yes', why should I since
> dpkg-source will fix that for me automagically ?

It says 'must' which technically means your package is RC-buggy if
d/rules is not executable.  Stepping back, why /not/ commit it as
executable to your VCS?  It might help someone someday.

I think the comment about dpkg-source is there because with the 1.0
source package format, you couldn't store the file with execute
permissions within the .dsc, so it's a necessary step.

--
Sean Whitton