Re: Thinking about Delegating Decisions about Policy

On Fri, Sep 06, 2019 at 11:32:06AM +0200, Bill Allombert wrote:
> On Thu, Sep 05, 2019 at 09:17:59AM +0200, Didier 'OdyX' Raboud wrote:

> > > But then it become a steering committee and not a technical commitee.
> >
> > Actually, it seems that the Technical Committee has kinda always been doing
> > both of these things: arbitration, and steering.
>
> The way the TC members are selected is not compatible with taking the role
> of a steering committee (which need to be properly elected rather than
> self-selected).

If we're going to change the rules about what the TC does -- or create a
whole new committee -- it makes sense to change this part of it, too. So
while I agree with you that this is a concern, it doesn't have to be a
fatal problem.

> (To avoid misunderstanding, I am not in favor of Debian getting a
> steering committee. The steering should come from the DPL, who is
> elected)

I agree that whoever does "steering" needs to be elected. However, I am
not convinced that one elected representative is good enough for that;
both for long-term stability (DPLs change up to once a year, which is
hardly enough for a long-term vision) as well as for allowing multiple
viewpoints (the DPL is just one person with his or her own biases; no
matter how well the DPL represents the viewpoints of the project at
large, it is always better to have multiple people in a position with
this kind of power).

So I think that Debian could have some limited benefit from a steering
group, but I do agree that it needs to be an elected group, not an
appointed one.

--
To the thief who stole my anti-depressants: I hope you're happy

  -- seen somewhere on the Internet on a photo of a billboard