Re: Thinking about Delegating Decisions about Policy

Le vendredi, 6 septembre 2019, 11.32:06 h CEST Bill Allombert a écrit :
> On Thu, Sep 05, 2019 at 09:17:59AM +0200, Didier 'OdyX' Raboud wrote:

> > > But then it become a steering committee and not a technical commitee.
> >
> > Actually, it seems that the Technical Committee has kinda always been
> > doing
> > both of these things: arbitration, and steering.
>
> The way the TC members are selected is not compatible with taking the role
> of a steering committee (which need to be properly elected rather than
> self-selected).

Agreed. For me, that's also why "steering" decisions have always been hard:
hard because handed to the TC at a late stage, as last resort; hard decisions
to take for the TC, with high stakes and emotions, etc. I feel it's also the
main reason behind the refusal to _be_ the Roadmap Team from the TC.

> (To avoid misunderstanding, I am not in favor of Debian getting a
> steering committee. The steering should come from the DPL, who is
> elected)

It seems that this is what is intended by the current constitution. But we
should really discuss what we need; and I'm not convinced that a steering
group designated by an elected DPL [delegate] is that much better than a self-
selected group vetted by the elected DPL [TC]. If we do give powers to a
steering group, we could (and I argue we probably should) make it a body of
elected individuals with fixed terms (renewability, grace periods, term
overlaps, etc are important details of course).

--
    OdyX