Re: Debian Policy and Publican

Hello Russ,

On Sun, 30 Apr 2017, Russ Allbery wrote:
> Thanks to a ton of hard work by Guillem, finishing up the work that Osamu
> Aoki started, debian-policy Git head is now DocBook.  It's currently using
> xsltproc and dblatex to generate its output (and my plan is to proceed
> with that for the near-term).  Howerver, this now opens up the possibility
> of using better markup from the full suite of available DocBook markup,
> and to use other DocBook-aware publishing platforms like Publican if they
> produce better output.
>
> If you still think that Publican would potentially be useful for this, I'd
> love to chat!

I still believe that Publican can be useful, yes, for two reasons:
- its HTML output is very nice-looking
- it makes it easy to manage translations (this might or might not be
  relevant)

For the PDF output, I find the dblatex output to be cleaner than the
Publican one (which uses wkhtmltopdf so relies on HTML output and Webkit
HTML renderering, its output is pretty but not perfect if you want book-like
quality). But if you want a better PDF, you have to provide a custom LaTeX
stylesheet. That's what I do for the Debian Handbook.

Feel free to check the debian-handbook source package to see how I use
Publican in combination with dblatex (build/build-pdf is the starting
point).

Cheers,
--
Raphaël Hertzog ◈ Debian Developer