Re: debian/copyright in source package

Thorsten Alteholz <alteholz@debian.org> writes:
> On Sun, 16 Aug 2015, Russ Allbery wrote:

>> I think this has come up before, and my recollection of where we ended
>> up in the past is that there probably isn't any *legal* reason to
>> require debian/copyright in source packages.

> Hmm, lots of licenses require their text distributed together with the
> sources. If you look at R packages from cran, they are usually
> characterized by a complete absence of those texts. So in such cases
> (cran is only an example) the debian/copyright in source packages helps
> to play the game.

But again, we're distributing the tarball that came from upstream.  So
presumably they're already complying with their own license, and that
information is there.  (Now, there are a few upstreams that don't comply
with their own licenses, and indeed those would have to be dealt with some
other way.  But the vast majority of packages would meet all their legal
requirements.)