Re: debian/copyright in source package

On Sun, 16 Aug 2015, Simon McVittie wrote:
I would love to not have to do this (see
<https://bugs.debian.org/768292>, <https://bugs.debian.org/795402>) but
at the moment it's the only way I can see to have debian/copyright in a
form that is easy to modify. At the moment, I also include the generated
version in source packages, but this seems a bit silly; I can't speak
for the actual ftpmasters, but if I was a NEW-queue reviewer, I would
strongly prefer to be able to say "ah yes, this refers to an external
CC-BY-3.0-US whose content is identical to one we've already reviewed, I
can skip that part" rather than wading through adwaita-icon-theme's 88K
copyright file.

Looking at another CC license is not the problem. Nevertheless I would really like to have more licenses in common-licenses. So maybe working on the above mentioned bugs would help? What needs to be done before closing them?

If someone (e.g. the ftp-masters) can give me a list of the software
that would need to be patched before this was acceptable (for example
packages.debian.org + whatever tool the ftp-masters use to review NEW),
I'll look into proposing patches.

From my point of view a better approach would be to have a mandatory
machine readable copyright file, no matter whether it is in the source or binary package.

  Thorsten