debian/copyright in source package

Hello.

I received two bugs about a missing debian/copyright in source package
(the copyright file is generated at build time).

Questions:

1. This seems a mass-bug filing, which last time I checked it is
something that "should not be done" before asking in -devel. Did I
miss the announcement about this mass bug filing?

2. Why would policy say "should" instead of "must", if we then do not
allow for exceptions? (packages generating copyright file at build time).

Thanks.