Re: How about updating the Policy to version 3.9.5 in October ?

Charles Plessy <plessy@debian.org> writes:

> currently in its Git repository, the Policy is already closing 15 bugs.
> On the other hand, major works (triggers, multiarch, conversion to XML)
> are stalled.

> I propose to upload a minor update of the Policy around mid-October with
> these changes and other low-hanging fruits that we may close in the
> meantime.

> I will try to close #688251 (Built-Using description too aggressive) and
> #707851 (Soften the wording recommending menu files and document
> FreeDesktop entries), but will not wait if there is no progress.

This sounds great to me.

> After this, it will be one year that I have been Policy editor.  In many
> occasions, I have advocated the rotation of Delegates, and will give the
> example by stepping down after the upload.  I do not intend to stop
> working on the Policy, but other packages, in particular mime-support,
> will get more of my time.

Thank you so much for all of the work that you've done.

The rotation of delegates is an interesting idea.  I'm not sure that
formally stepping down is needed, but it definitely adds some clarity and
makes it more obvious how many active people are on a team.  (For example,
it probably would have been a lot clearer if I'd temporarily stepped down
about a year ago when I largely ran out of time to spend on Policy.  Of
course, I keep thinking that's going to change....)

We're definitely short-handed right now.  I'm still dealing with a ton of
ongoing effort with my day job, which has sharply limited the amount of
time that I have to spend on Debian and my Policy work has suffered (let
alone work on Lintian).  Unfortunately, it's probably not that likely that
it will let up appreciably in the next few months.