Re: Roadmap to version 3.9.5 or 4.0.0 ?

On Sat, Aug 10, 2013 at 01:55:38PM +0900, Charles Plessy wrote:
> [...]
> In terms of quantity of work, I think that the documentation of the triggers is
> almost done.  This said, the loud silence makes me feel that this work is very
> controversal, so I am not sure if it will be part of the Policy anytime soon.

Either controversial, or alternatively, that people are happy with
what has been said.

> Here are possible directions for our future work.
>
>  1) Release 3.9.5 as it is, convert to XML as 4.0.0, and resume the
>     normative work.
>  2) Same as 1) but skip 3.9.5.
>  3) Same as 1) or 2), but close a bunch of low-hanging fruits first.
>  4) Work on multi-arch first.
>
> What do you think ?  Do you have other propositions ?

I don't have a strong opinion, except to suggest doing whichever route
will cause you the least amount of effort makes the most sense.

A number of years ago, when I was very active on the Policy Group, I
proposed transitioning the policy's use of the terms SHOULD, MUST,
etc. towards the meanings of those words as they are used in the IETF
RFCs.  I also proposed restructuring the policy document, as it had
become somewhat disorganised over the years.  I (sadly) do not have
time nowadays to be involved in this, but I offer it as a proposal to
reconsider now during such a major piece of work as this.

Good luck, and thanks for your work!

   Julian