Re: Upcoming Policy plans

> On Sun, 26 Feb 2012, Russ Allbery wrote:

>> Then, my plan is to declare a Policy freeze on May 1st.  Hopefully by that
>> point we'll be into release freeze as well.  I then want to take the next
>> month (or less if it gets done faster) and convert Policy to DocBook.

> I would suggest you to have a look into publican when you're at that
> point. You could then look into using "conditionals" to add
> supplementary information (like rationale) but leave it out from the
> standard build.

> http://jfearn.fedorapeople.org/en-US/Publican/2.7/html/Users_Guide/chap-Users_Guide-Creating_a_document.html#sect-Users_Guide-Conditional_tagging

Oh, right!  Thank you for the reminder.  I'd forgotten about publican.

> My only fear is that releasing a policy so late in the cycle will lead
> to many uploads partly to get in sync with the latest policy in
> wheezy. In particular if you end up releasing it as 4.0.0 as I would
> expect it.

Part of the goal of waiting until we were in release freeze was precisely
so that it was clear that people shouldn't target wheezy with updates for
this version of Policy.  Maybe we should make that explicit by declining
to release the new version into the archive until wheezy is released?

We could relax the freeze of merging new changes once the conversion is
done, but just not upload a new version.  It's not like Policy uploads
have been horribly frequent anyway.