Re: Upcoming Policy plans

On Sun, 26 Feb 2012, Russ Allbery wrote:
> This is an attempt to be bold.  We'll see if it actually survives contact
> with reality.  :)

Great, thank you for this!

> Then, my plan is to declare a Policy freeze on May 1st.  Hopefully by that
> point we'll be into release freeze as well.  I then want to take the next
> month (or less if it gets done faster) and convert Policy to DocBook.

I would suggest you to have a look into publican when you're at that
point. You could then look into using "conditionals" to add supplementary
information (like rationale) but leave it out from the standard build.

http://jfearn.fedorapeople.org/en-US/Publican/2.7/html/Users_Guide/chap-Users_Guide-Creating_a_document.html#sect-Users_Guide-Conditional_tagging

> I would prefer not to just do a mechanical conversion, and instead take
> the opportunity to do some substantial cleanup.  If we're going to change
> everything and probably break the anchors for external links, we may as
> well do as much other cleanup as we can get done at the same time.  It's
> been a long time since Policy has been edited as a coherent document, and
> it shows.  It may be that I'll run out of time or energy and we'll make do
> with a more mechanical conversion, but that's the hope.

My only fear is that releasing a policy so late in the cycle will lead to
many uploads partly to get in sync with the latest policy in wheezy. In
particular if you end up releasing it as 4.0.0 as I would expect it.

> I've opened bug #661417 to track any additional cleanups that we want to
> do at the same time.  Simple things that don't require discussion can be
> added directly to that bug.  For more complex things that may require some
> discussion, please open a separate bug and mark it as blocking that bug.

Not sure whether/how you want to record the above suggestion. I'll leave
it up to you.

> What does everyone think about this plan?

It's a good one.

Cheers,
--
Raphaël Hertzog ◈ Debian Developer