Re: Proposal to update NMU section 5.11.1

On Tuesday, April 24, 2012 03:19:11, Thijs Kinkhorst wrote:

> >> that's correct
> >
> > Try to read between the lines -- it implies "be reluctant to do an NMU
> > unless you're absolutely sure of what you're doing".  That's a much
> > higher bar than the spirit that I think is embodied in Zack's email
> > describing NMUs.
>
> This seems like valuable advice for any upload, including NMU's, so I
> don't think this bar needs to be lowered at all, nor do I think Zack
> promotes that.

Somehow I interpret that differently.

> > And there's a difference between being correct and being informative.
> > i.e. just because a statement is correct doesn't mean it conveys what DDs
> > need to know.
>
> Is there a concrete problem with DD's misunderstanding this text?

Is this an answerable question?  What would be required to be able to give a
valid answer?

I can point to emails of people misconstruing what NMUs are for, but that
doesn't mean they've read the Dev-Ref section or even that they're DDs, and
far harder to prove that it's a common "concrete" problem.

> > > - Implies that the NMU package shouldn't make any changes other than
> >>
> >> some

> >> changing

> >> You are over-reading.
> >
> > Saying this is not helpful.
>
> I do think Lucas is right - you are taking a rather large leap of
> interpretation: from very specific ("no cosmetic changes or switching
> packaging style") to rather generic ("nothing other than critical bugs").
> There's a host of issues in between, they are not excluded in the text but
> they are excluded in what you say the text 'implies'. I would indeed
> suggest, like Lucas, not to try too hard to find 'implications' or
> 'between the lines' text, which isn't actually there.

As I mentioned in the my most recent reply, the overall tone of the section
overall is why interpret the wording of the section that way.

  -- Chris

--
Chris Knadle
Chris.Knadle@coredump.us