Re: Request for TC to rule on a course of action for supporting build-arch

Roger Leigh <rleigh@codelibre.net> writes:

> On Tue, Jun 07, 2011 at 11:14:14AM +0200, Tollef Fog Heen wrote:
>> ]] Steve Langasek
>>
>> Hi,
>>
>> |  4) Turn on direct use of 'debian/rules build-arch' on the autobuilders for
>> |     all packages in unstable and experimental immediately, with no fallback
>> |     if the target does not exist; requires a corresponding update to Policy
>> |     and mass updates to fix packages that fail to build as a result.
>>
>> I'd be happy to provide hardware to do a full scale rebuild test of the
>> archive if somebody does the actual work of doing the rebuilds.  rleigh
>> did it for his sbuild resolver test so I've Cc-ed him to see if he's
>> interested in doing a test for this too.
>
> This has been completed now, and the summarised results follow.
> All of the build logs, scripts and datafiles are available from
> http://people.debian.org/~rleigh/dpkg-rebuild/
>
> Summarised:
> - autodetection with "make -qn" breaks few, if any packages.
> - unconditional use of build-arch breaks approximately 45% of
>   arch-any packages (the fraction not providing a build-arch
>   target).

Given that more than half the archive already implements build-arch
could we at least change policy NOW to raise the build-arch/indep
targets to SHOULD?

Better would be MUST, even if that isn't enforced yet, but that would
depend on the outcome of this CTTE request.

MfG
        Goswin