Re: Patch for MultiarchCross

On Fri, 08 Apr 2011 at 21:51:03 +0200, Bill Allombert wrote:
> Requiring the user to pass -I to the compiler should be discouraged.

I disagree: independently of multiarch, many libraries do this deliberately
to allow for parallel-installation, and use pkg-config to give out appropriate
CFLAGS.

For instance, you can have libgtk2.0-dev and libgtk-3-dev installed
at the same time, even though they both include (for instance)
<gtk/gtkwindow.h>; using -I/usr/include/gtk-2.0 or -I/usr/include/gtk-3.0
(or in practice, asking pkg-config for gtk+-2.0.pc or gtk+-3.0.pc) selects
the desired API.

Requiring all of GNOME, XFCE, etc. to switch from Gtk2 to Gtk3 simultaneously
isn't really realistic... and if more libraries did this, switching to a newer
API wouldn't have to happen for all of Debian at once. (I've found myself
wishing libjpeg6b and libjpeg8 headers were parallel-installable, which would
let me remove a nasty hack from ioquake3.)