Re: Documentation: Explaining "porterbox" better

On Thu, 21 Oct 2010, Kan-Ru Chen wrote:

Peter Palfrader <weasel@debian.org> writes:

* rename it from "chroots to different distributions" to "porterboxes
provide chroots to different distributions"

It doesn't provide different distributions at all.  All it does is
debian.  We usually have different suites of that tho.

Isn't `distribution' a debian jargon for these suites? For example
http://www.debian.org/releases lists three `distributions' and policy
5.6.14 describes how to fill the Distribution field.

* link to http://dsa.debian.org/doc/install-req/ and explain why people
might want to install packages in a chroot

erm.  what's there to explain.

[Just my guess because I never request to install packages in a
chroot. I'm too wondering why people might want to]

Because it's not obvious how one can use porterboxes to port
packages. Installing build-deps is the preliminary work before porting.

Thanks, that's exactly what I mean.

In a week or so, I hope to write that up. Kan-Ru, if you feel like writing it instead, I would extremely appreciate it!

-- Asheesh.

--
Tomorrow, you can be anywhere.