Re: Documentation: Explaining "porterbox" better

Peter Palfrader <weasel@debian.org> writes:

>> * rename it from "chroots to different distributions" to "porterboxes
>> provide chroots to different distributions"
>
> It doesn't provide different distributions at all.  All it does is
> debian.  We usually have different suites of that tho.

Isn't `distribution' a debian jargon for these suites? For example
http://www.debian.org/releases lists three `distributions' and policy
5.6.14 describes how to fill the Distribution field.

>> * link to http://dsa.debian.org/doc/install-req/ and explain why people
>> might want to install packages in a chroot
>
> erm.  what's there to explain.

[Just my guess because I never request to install packages in a
chroot. I'm too wondering why people might want to]

Because it's not obvious how one can use porterboxes to port
packages. Installing build-deps is the preliminary work before porting.

Cheers,
Kanru