Re: some thoughts about package refences in the info files

Bill Allombert <Bill.Allombert@math.u-bordeaux1.fr> writes:
> On Fri, Jul 02, 2010 at 09:58:17AM +0200, Tepperis-von der Ohe, Michael wrote:

>> thanks for this hint. but how I recognize a package as being 'virtual'?
>> the Packages files offers this information only sometimes in the
>> description area.

>> Does an extra list of virtual packages exist? Where?

> The list of "public" virtual packages is in
> /usr/share/doc/debian-policy/virtual-package-names-list.txt.gz

> However there are a number of "private" virtual packages that are not in
> this list. You can compute the list of packages that are 'Provided' by
> some packages and remove the real packages from that list.

You should also be aware that you're largely duplicating work that's
already done by debcheck and reported on packages.qa.debian.org.  I'm not
sure if there's a summary report that shows all problems found by debcheck
with missing dependencies.