some thoughts about package refences in the info files

Title: some thoughts about package refences in the info files

hi folks,

starting with some frustration about error messages from using apt
I started some analysis on the Debian Package infos.

As you know Debian has a detailed system to reference packages
on the relation of "depend", "recommend, "conflict" and others.

About this references I have two things to discuss:

I.
Sometimes it occures a package is referenced by this system of references
but in fact it doesn't exist.

I compiled the data of the "Packages" files in a sqlite database with
some tables so I can run some comfortable queries.

So I asked which packages are referenced by the Debian dependency
system but does not exist. I got the following astonishing results:

conflicts       5251
depends 5277
enhances        52
provides                4142
recommends      763
replaces        3921
suggests        2092

What do you think about these results?

I think there has to be a process to avoid these errors and wrong infos.

II.
Sometimes it occures that a package lists a 'conflict', but the corresponding
package does not. I would like to see a 'conflict' list on both packages.

As I understand, the info files are maintained individually by the package
maintainers. May be a process can be established to harmonize the
entries in the individually package info files. If i.e. a 'conlict' has been
named it shoul appear in the corresponding package info file.

greetings
michael

examples:

Package: abuse
Conflicts: abuse-sdl (<< 0.6.1-2)

a package 'abuse-sdl' does not exist

Package: abiword-common
Recommends: abiword-help, aspell-en | aspell-dictionary

Package: auctex
Replaces: preview-latex

a package 'preview-latex' does not exist

Package: muttprint
Enhances: mail-reader, news-reader

a package 'news-reader' does not exist