Re: some thoughts about package refences in the info files

On Fri, Jul 02, 2010 at 09:58:17AM +0200, Tepperis-von der Ohe, Michael wrote:
> hi,
>
> thanks for this hint. but how I recognize a package as being 'virtual'?
> the Packages files offers this information only sometimes in the
> description area.
>
> Does an extra list of virtual packages exist? Where?

See Debian Policy section 3.6 Virtual Packages:

   The latest version of the authoritative list of virtual package names can be found in the
   debian-policy package. It is also available from the Debian web mirrors at
   /doc/packaging-manuals/virtual-package-names-list.txt.

Armed with that information, take a look at
/usr/share/doc/debian-policy/virtual-package-names-list.txt.gz
on your local machine, or at
http://www.debian.org/doc/packaging-manuals/virtual-package-names-list.txt
(or the same path on your friendly neighborhood Debian mirror webserver)

Hope that helps!

G'luck,
Peter

--
Peter Pentchev	roam@space.bg    roam@ringlet.net    roam@FreeBSD.org
If the meanings of 'true' and 'false' were switched, then this sentence wouldn't be false.