Re: Inquiry about log timestamps

On Fri, Feb  5, 2010 at 03:06:17 -0500, Borden Rhodes wrote:

> Good morning,
> I have a question regarding timestamps in Debian package logs.  One of my
> biggest frustrations when troubleshooting problems with Xorg, for example, is
> that the .xsession-errors and Xorg.log entries are not time stamped.
It's hard (read impossible) for .xsession-errors since that's just the
stderr output from the apps running in your session.  For the Xorg log,
will be in xorg-server 1.8 (people have tried to get better timestamps
in there, but since it needs to be signal safe, it's not easy).

In any case, I'm not sure what you think policy should say about this.
It could make timestamped log files a recommendation, but I don't think
it can enforce it.