Re: use README.source to describe whether committing to VCS is desired

On Wed, Dec 23, 2009 at 05:13:41PM +0100, gregor herrmann wrote:
> To be honest, I'm a bit ambivalent: On the one hand I like the idea
> of having the info in the package for NMUs, on the other hand having
> to add a (line to) debian/README.source for ~1500 package in the perl
> group saying "If you are a DD please work off and commit to $URI."
> sounds a bit scary. -- But I have no better idea either at the
> moment.

I frankly don't see any way out, at least while keeping the basic
assumption that such information should be in the source package. I
believe it should, because it is where NMU practice tells us that
information will be looked for.

Regarding your specific use case, you can probably do one of the
following (with my preference going on (2)):

1) batchly change all README.source of your ~1500 packages telling which
   commit rules do you use

2) choose a package on which all other ~1500 packages build-depend on (I
   guess you have a perl build helper or something), put the info there,
   and do (1) with a text which just point to the file containing the
   info.

(2) would enable you to change the info in the future at once. It is
also coherent with what we suggest to do for dpatch/quilt: not adding
the rules in all README.source, but factorize them out and point to
that.

Cheers.