Different reply operations (was: Silently breaking on upgrade)

The Wanderer <wanderer@fastmail.fm> writes:

> (Also, unrelated: the Debian mailing list etiquette page says not to
> CC someone on a post to the list unless specifically requested.

Right, thanks for taking notice of that.

> However, hitting Reply on a list message populates the To field only
> with the previous poster's own address

Yes, because you're using the “reply to author” operation of your MUA.

> and hitting Reply-To [all] includes both addresses

Yes, because you're using the “reply to all” operation of your MUA.

> so that not sending the CC requires manually editing the addressee
> list.

You should use the “reply to list” operation of your MUA (or, if your
MUA doesn't have that, pressure the vendor to fix it or switch to an MUA
that does implement it).

> Isn't this inconsistent?)

No, it's your MUA providing different operations for the different ways
you might want to reply to a message. The message itself contains all
the information your MUA needs to provide those options to you.

--
 \       “People come up to me and say, ‘Emo, do people really come up |
  `\                                            to you?’” —Emo Philips |