Silently breaking on upgrade

I am not certain that this is the correct list for this question; it is
a question about Debian's policy, but I am not certain that it is about
the type of policy which is covered by the debian-policy manual and thus
the type which is to be discussed here.

I have not been able to find a formal statement of what is and is not
considered on-topic for this mailing list. If this question does not
belong here, please let me know where it should go and I will gladly
take it there.

The question itself, in its starkest form, is simple.

Under what circumstances, if any, is it considered acceptable for a
package which is installed as a dependency by the upgrade of another
package to silently break the system?

--
      The Wanderer

side of it.