Re: Sourceless but useless: how about ignoring some irrelevant files instead of repackaging?

Stefano Zacchiroli <zack@debian.org> writes:

> On Mon, Sep 14, 2009 at 12:39:34AM +0900, Charles Plessy wrote:
>>  - Policy does not require to document the repackaging in README.source ;
>>    debian/copyright is the right place for this.

> Yes and no. README.source guidelines from policy include this point
> (policy §4.14):

>   4.   Optionally, document what steps are necessary to upgrade the
>        Debian source package to a new upstream version, if applicable.

> Repacking is one of the action needed to upgrade to a new upstream
> version. It is then arguable that, while it is true that you are not
> required to document *the repacking* in README.source, you are required
> to document *how to repack* there.

Well, you're not required to do anything (the explicit "optionally"), but
if you want to document that there, it's a reasonable place for it.  I
personally think that if the package has a working get-orig-source target
that does everything required, it's a bit pointless to also put the
details in README.source, but I can see that going both ways.