Re: Policy of capitalisation of <packagename> in /usr/share/?

Hi Danai,

On Sat, Sep 05, 2009 at 03:08:10PM +0200, Danai SAE-HAN (韓達耐) wrote:
> I recently posted bug #545127 (see [1]) as I noticed that the package
> `publican' stores some shared files in /usr/share/Publican/ but stores
> its documentation in /usr/share/doc/publican/.
> As an end user, I expected /usr/share/publican/, given that the
> package name is `publican'.

> However, the upstream package uses /usr/share/Publican/.  The Debian
> Maintainer (Mikahil Gusarov, in CC) does not wish to change the
> upstream source without a good reason, and that is perfectly
> understandable.

> The Debian Policy [2] has two places in which it says something about
> /usr/share/: sections 8.2 (Shared library support files) and 10.7.3
> (Configuration Files > Behavior).  However, according to Mikhail both
> sections are not applicable, either because there are currently no
> shared packages or because `publican' has no ./configure.  [Correct me
> if I'm wrong, Mikhail.]  Mikhail suggests to change some of the
> wording in the policy under 10.7.3 (see [1]).

> I see a few options here:
> - the policy does not cover this issue, and it is up to the the Debian
> Maintainer to decide how the directory in /usr/share/ is called;
> - the policy requires that directories in /usr/share/ be exactly
> /usr/share/<package-name>/.  Given that <package-name> must use
> lowercase letters (Debian Policy 5.6.1).  Most packages already do
> this, but this would affect some packages like X11 or PolicyKit, as
> Mikhail Gusarov noted;
> - the policy recommends /usr/share/<package-name>/, unless it is too
> difficult to implement.

> I would be most grateful if anyone could clarify this situation.

Policy does indeed not require that directory names under /usr/share follow
a particular pattern.  Namespace conflicts are resolved ad-hoc, generally
the same way that package namespace conflicts are; and in the case of a
directory that's a capitalized form of the package name, there should be no
namespace collision because package names must all be lowercase, so nothing
else could claim precedence for this directory name.

Cheers,