Re: Vcs-* and Other Fields

On Thu, Jun 25, 2009 at 10:04:59PM -0700, Steve Langasek wrote:
> On Thu, Jun 25, 2009 at 11:33:12PM +0100, Roger Leigh wrote:
> > I often have branches for:
> > - unstable
> > - experimental
> > - stable
> > - backports
> > and there may be others of course.  Each of these may be branched
> > off the upstream stable/development branches at the appropriate
> > points.  This allows supporting stable/stable-security and
> > current development all in the same repository.  You just can't
> > do that with one branch.
>
> Correct, which is why the Vcs-Git URI syntax should be fixed to include an
> optional branch name.  You still don't need to be able to reference more
> than one branch in a given source package, though; the unstable package
> should point to the unstable branch, the experimental package to the
> experimental branch, etc.

This makes complete sense for the Vcs-Git case.

Later, I was thinking about how it would work in the case of the
dpkg 3.0 (git) source format.  In this case, we need to know which
branch to check out of the unpacked repository, but we don't have
access to any files until we check out a branch.  In this case, having
the branch in the DSC is needed (though it could live under debian/source
rather than in debian/control).  I'm not entirely certain how the
3.0 (git) format currently unpacks; this isn't documented AFAICT from the
dpkg-source manpage.

Regards,
Roger

--