Re: does /var/games have to be deleted on purge? (if it's empty..)

On Wed, Apr 08, 2009 at 01:51:25PM +0200, Holger Levsen wrote:
> Hi Bill,
>
> On Mittwoch, 8. April 2009, Bill Allombert wrote:
> > Unless policy is changed to make clear that /var/games can be removed
> > at any time, and thus that package cannot just ship /var/games in the
> > deb and expect it to be available when running the postinst, or at any
> > latter time, I have to object with this bug reports because this
> > introduces a race condition.
>
> I dont understand, can you please explain what race condition you mean?

One scenario among others:

Package A ships with /var/games in the deb, Package B remove /var/games
in the purge postrm.
Package A is unpacked: /var/games is created
Package B is purged: /var/games is removed
Package A is configured: postinst do 'touch /var/games/foo.hiscore'
which fails.

Cheers,
--
Bill. <ballombe@debian.org>