Re: does /var/games have to be deleted on purge? (if it's empty..)

Sven Joachim <svenjoac@gmx.de> writes:
> On 2009-04-06 19:59 +0200, Russ Allbery wrote:

>> I'm curious why it wasn't removed.  /var/games is normally shipped in
>> each of the packages that provides files in /var/games, so dpkg would
>> normally remove it automatically once the last game was removed from
>> the system.

> But not if the game actually writes highscore files there.  Those are
> only removed on purge, at which point dpkg has already forgotten that
> /var/games belonged to the package.

Oh, aha, yes.  That explains it.

We'd then have a similar problem with any other /var directory that holds
files mostly created at runtime and only deleted on purge, such as
/var/log, except that the rest are always in existence.

I don't see much real benefit in going out of our way to remove /var/games
and it looks like it would be a bit annoying (at the least, require adding
purge code to all games that put files in /var/games that would usually
never be triggered).  My inclination would be to say that this behavior is
fine and perhaps we should officially bless it somewhere.