Re: does /var/games have to be deleted on purge? (if it's empty..)

Holger Levsen <holger@layer-acht.org> writes:

> while testing the archive with piuparts I found a failure reported by
> piuparts, that after purge /var/games existed on the system while it
> wasnt there before installing+purging the package.
>
> See http://piuparts.debian.org/squeeze/fail/slashem-common_0.0.7E7F3-1.3.log
> (at the end..)

I'm curious why it wasn't removed.  /var/games is normally shipped in each
of the packages that provides files in /var/games, so dpkg would normally
remove it automatically once the last game was removed from the system.

It seems to have left it unowned, which implies to me that either some
package created it in a maintainer script rather than just including the
directory in the deb or you're running into the bug that I ran into with
openafs where dpkg lost track of the owner of a directory (I can't find
the bug number at the moment).