Re: Goals of debian/copyright

Emilio Pozuelo Monfort <pochu@ubuntu.com> writes:

> Russ Allbery wrote:
> > So then, to answer Don's original question, I think the use case
> > is "know the license of the package in more detail than what is
> > guaranteed by the DFSG." Which is basically what you said.
>
> We provide the full license text in debian/copyright, or
> alternatively, point to a file in /usr/share/common-licenses/ that
> contains it, so I think that is good enough.

Yes, for that purpose, the current contents are good enough. I was
answering Don's request on the assumption that he is seeking all
relevant requirements for ‘debian/copyright’, whether we currently
specify them or not.

> If what you propose is that we should *explain* what the license
> means for every package in main in debian/copyright, then I
> disagree.

That's also my position; the license text verbatim is enough.

--
 \      “The most common way people give up their power is by thinking |
  `\                               they don't have any.” —Alice Walker |