Re: Goals of debian/copyright

On Wed, 25 Mar 2009, Ben Finney wrote:
> Don Armstrong <don@debian.org> writes:
> > 6) Documentation for users about usability of packages in non-free
> > (IE, non-commercial, non-modifiable, etc.)
>
> Why restrict this point to non-free?

Because non-free works don't satisfy the DFSG, and have terms that can
directly affect their usability by users. Figuring out whether you can
actually use a work in non-free is a critical use case for
debian/copyright.

> I think it's important for users of *all* software to have easy,
> predictably-located access to the terms under which they receive it.

What's the use case? That's what I'd like to focus on first; what
debian/copyright needs to enable people to do, not how it enables
people to do it.

Don Armstrong

--
"Them as can do has to do for them as can't. And someone has to speak
up for them as have no voices."