Re: Environment variables, debian/rules and dpkg-buildpackage

This one time, at band camp, Raphael Hertzog said:
> [ Bcced to -devel and -dpkg, discussion should happen on -policy ]
>
> Hello,
>
> we have an unfortunate situation where the practice in dpkg-buildpackage
> and the policy do not match fully.
>
> I tried to summarize the problem here:
> http://wiki.debian.org/Teams/Dpkg/DebianRules
>
> I want to resolve this problem. I see two solutions:
>
> * either we modify policy to mandate the set of environment variables that
>   dpkg-buildpackage sets
>
> * or we roll-back changes to dpkg-buildpackage and design something else
>   that provide the same feature in terms of distribution-wide control of
>   default build options. (I ignore the DEB_VENDOR feature, it can be easily
>   replaced with dpkg-vendor but the build options case is much more tricky
>   to get right)
>

> In terms of efforts, the first solution is the easiest. But we aim at the
> _right_ solution so feel free to design something that makes the second
> solution viable.

I'm more than slightly uncomfortable with mandating a particular tool as
the only way to build packages (and mandating something that's different
than current policy at that).  I'd be much happier with a Makefile
snippet and a conversion period.  I know it's more work and slower to
migrate to, but it seems to me to have the advantage of being the most
flexible.

Cheers,