Re: Environment variables, debian/rules and dpkg-buildpackage

On Sat, 14 Mar 2009, Stephen Gran wrote:
> This one time, at band camp, Raphael Hertzog said:
> > * either we modify policy to mandate the set of environment variables that
> >   dpkg-buildpackage sets

[...]
> > In terms of efforts, the first solution is the easiest. But we aim at the
> > _right_ solution so feel free to design something that makes the second
> > solution viable.
>
> I'm more than slightly uncomfortable with mandating a particular tool as
> the only way to build packages (and mandating something that's different
> than current policy at that).

Note that I'm not asking to mandate the tool. I would like to mandate the
fact that packages can rely on some environment variables being set to
some values.

> I'd be much happier with a Makefile snippet and a conversion period.  I
> know it's more work and slower to migrate to, but it seems to me to have
> the advantage of being the most flexible.

Care to elaborate what kind of flexibility you need in this specific case ?

Cheers,
--
Raphaël Hertzog

Contribuez à Debian et gagnez un cahier de l'admin Debian Lenny :
http://www.ouaza.com/wp/2009/03/02/contribuer-a-debian-gagner-un-livre/