Re: Draft new policy document format

On Sun, 30 Dec 2007 22:40:18 -0800, Russ Allbery <rra@debian.org> said:

> Manoj Srivastava <srivasta@debian.org> writes:
>> With this in mind, I have created an initial draft format of the
>> Debian technical policy set, and am including it in this mail.
>>
>> Comments appreciated.

> [...]

> The one concern that jumped out at me with this format is to have a
> single priority level for an entire rule.  When writing standards
> documentation, I've often run into places where several priorities are
> used in the same logical chunk.  For example, support for a feature
> may be only recommended, but if that feature is implemented, certain
> features or behavior might be a must.  I'm not sure that it's always
> going to be simple to put a priority on the whole section.

        A second concern came to me while thinking about my talk at
 Debconf this year.  By hard coding a priority in the rule itself, we
 preclude the possibility that various policy documents (draft, cdd,
 derivative, etc) might want to have a particular rule at different
 levels.

        This is most likely to be usefuule for derivatives, though CDD's
 might also benefit. So perhaps priority for a rule is an issuue for the
 master document?

        I also think we ought to ponder a bit more on the issue you
 raise: A single logical chunk might consist of multiple rules, with
 different priorities for each subrule.

        I do not see yet how to set up a mechanism for  aggregating or
 grouping rules (like, for example, putting them in an XML Entity
 together) while allowing the master document to still dictate the
 priority of each rule.

        manoj
--
When your work speaks for itself, don't interrupt. Henry J. Kaiser