Re: Stepping down from Policy team

> Hi folks,
>
>         In keeping with my gradual disengagement from the project, anre
>  removing myself from positions that  bring me into contention with
>  public facets of Debian, I am am now stepping down from the Policy
>  team. This is bitter sweet, since I have been helping manage policy for
>  a lot longer than I have been secretary (I think I took up policy after
>  our last policy czar resigned abruptly for very similar reasons to why
>  I am letting go, back in '98 or so).  If I decide to remain with the
>  project, I guess I can always ask to join the team again, but at this
>  point, I am not sure I want to do so.

Debian Policy, from my first interactions with Debian, has been the one
thing above all others that led me to decide that this was the project
that I wanted to work on.  And for as long as I've known of Debian, you've
been involved in guiding that process.  So in some sense, it was your work
that brought me to the project in the first place.

Thank you so much for all the effort and energy that you've put into this
over the years.  I've learned a great deal from watching you address
Policy proposals, and I've always been impressed by your ability to look
at the larger picture and the broader problem.

>         The policy team is in good hands with Russ, and my only regret
>  is that I have not managed to  take policy through the docbook
>  transition and the machine freienlier version of policy, but I suppose
>  I can still do that, even if I am not an active delegate.

I do hope that you'll continue to work on that and on any other Policy
work that seems worthwhile to you.  Your insight would be sorely missed.

>         I would strongly suggest to the DPL that there need to be made
>  more delegates to the policy team.

I will try to write up a general status report on what I see the state of
Debian Policy at the moment for debian-devel-announce, although with the
holidays, it may be a little bit before I finish it.

>         Again, I thank all the folks who have been involved in Debian
>  technical policy development over the years, I think the technical
>  policy is one of the best things about Debian. It has been wonderful
>  working with all y'all.

It has been wonderful working with you, and thank you so much for all the
work that you've done.  I can't agree more that the technical policy is
one of the best things about the project, and that's due in no small part
to your efforts.